SyMenu Forum

SyMenu

HomeSyMenu Plugins

Everything related to SyMenu plugins: discussion, development, documentation and release

SyMenu PAF program suite Messages in this topic - RSS

Emanele_Tinari
Emanele_Tinari

29/08/2017
Emanele_Tinari
Emanele_Tinari
Hello at all.
I found somewhere in internet ( i don't remember where) the plugin in the subject.
I see it is not present in the plugin list in this forum and i thought it's not update.
I'd like, if it's possible, maintain it update because for me it's very simple to use but, unfortunately, actually it not find the current version of more PAF programs, and the PAF programs find are not all those present in the PortableApps.com web site.
I don't understand well how others users in this forum integrate portableapp.com apps in Symenu upset
How can i have the source code of this plugin to find a way to update it?
I currently use SyMenu v.6.00.6406 and the PAF Plugin (as i can read in file-->properties-->detailes) v. 1.2.0.0 (2014)
Cheers
Emanuele Tinari

P.s. @GianlucaNegrelli: You can answer me in my gmail too, tnx in advance.
link
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator

30/08/2017
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator
The PAF plugin has been completely replaced by the SyMenu Suite (SPS).
Inside the SyMenu Suite you can find programs from any source and not only from the PortableApps web site.
But inside the suite you don't find all the PAF programs, as you are used to find in the dedicated plugin, because PortableApps is strongly hostile toward SyMenu so my policy is to replace all the programs released from them with others from more friendly sources.

To get a sample of their hostility read https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/86399/why-does-the-libreoffice-portable-version-act-as-a-proprietary-software/ and the related source https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105572

Substantially PortableApps, which is formally free and open, acts as a closed system.
They disabled the silent (unattended) install for every menu, except for their, to exclude this automation, which is a necessary masterpiece, to any other platform.
Plus they prevent the manual unpacking of their PAF packages with silly systems, asserting this is for security reasons... For example try to install from SyMenu Suite Libre Office and read the alert you get on the first execution. It's comical.
I hope this is enough to explain their politics so please don't ask for more PAF programs released from PortableApps.

If you want the source for the PAF plugin I can give it to you but it will be useless. The plugin simply relies on a set of information created and updated on the ugmfree web site. I haven't updated that information since years and I don't want to reactivate the monitoring system so you won't have useful information.

BTW if anyone has anything to add to this topic I'm here. Well the topic is the silly war among PortableApps and the other freeware portable platform, not the PAF plugin.
link

UGM.NET ©2002-2018
By Gianluca Negrelli - Contact me