SyMenu Forum

SyMenu

 

Home ▶ Troubleshooting & Bug Reports

If you found a bug post here your report.

Symenu 8.XX refuses to update Messages in this topic - RSS

Frustrated
Frustrated
Posts: 20


1 days ago
Frustrated
Frustrated
Posts: 20
Tried twice to update from 8.13.9578 and the result is always the same. The app notifies me on launch that there is an update. I tell it to update. The update window briefly shows up then disappears. From then on Symenu refuses to run. I can not even see it in the Windows task manager. I have to restore the entire directory from a backup.

Win11 Pro 25H2

edited by Gianluca on 30/09/2026
link
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator
Posts: 1393


1 days ago
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator
Posts: 1393
Interesting.
If you don't mind, I'll use this thread as a sort of collector for SyMenu update issues, so I've slightly changed the thread title.
I'm particularly interested in this case because you're the first person to report a problem with the updater. Hopefully you'll also be the last... but experience suggests you might just be the first of a larger group.

At the moment I have no clear idea what is happening on your system. To investigate properly, I'd probably have to ask you to dig through Windows Event Logs and collect diagnostics for me... but I'm not that evil. What I can suggest instead is a workaround to solve that quickly and easily. It's useful both for failed updates and for installations that may have become corrupted over time:
  • Download the latest SyMenu package from the website. The EXE package is the easiest option, but the ZIP package works as well.
  • Unblock the downloaded package using the same procedure described for SyMenu plugins here: https://www.ugmfree.it/manual#SyMenuPluginBlocked
  • Run the EXE or extract the ZIP into the exact same folder where SyMenu is currently installed.
    For example, if SyMenu is located in D:\CoolApp\SyMenu, make sure the installer or ZIP extraction target is D:\CoolApp\SyMenu.
  • If Windows asks whether existing files should be overwritten, answer Yes to All.
This procedure effectively performs a "reinstallation" of SyMenu while leaving your configuration, profiles, program entries, and personal settings untouched.

As I mentioned, I'm trying to collect both failed update cases and their successful resolutions. So, whatever the outcome, please let me know how it goes. Every piece of feedback helps me understand whether this is an isolated incident or the beginning of a new adventure with the updater.

Thanks for your help and patience!
link
Frustrated
Frustrated
Posts: 20


16 hours ago
Frustrated
Frustrated
Posts: 20
I downloiaded the Zip and checked the blocking option and there was none. I unzipped the files and replaced the existing files in the folder. Same result. When I ran SyMenu.exe nothing happens. No Symenu splash screen nor Symenu in the systray in W11


Faulting application name: SyMenu.exe, version: 8.15.9738.16613, time stamp: 0x6a620000
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.26100.9444, time stamp: 0xf5847879
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0016aed4
Faulting process id: 0x89A4
Faulting application start time: 0x1DD515443FBE555
Faulting application path: D:\_Drive_E\Downloads\Nasty Fixes\SyMenu\SyMenu.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: c5d5abe6-091e-4c8e-8913-117b0aae2a6a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:


---------------------------------

Application: SyMenu.exe
CoreCLR Version: 10.0.1126.37416
.NET Version: 10.0.11
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'SyMenu.Libraries, Version=8.15.9738.16612, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'SyMenu.Libraries, Version=8.15.9738.16612, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
at SyMenu.Program.Main(String[] args)



Fixed the problem. Renamed the SyMenu.Libraries.dll in the Symenu folder and Symenu found the dll in its Lib folder.

edited by Frustrated on 01/10/2026

edited by Frustrated on 01/10/2026
link
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator
Posts: 1393


13 hours ago
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator
Posts: 1393
Frustrated wrote:
Fixed the problem. Renamed the SyMenu.Libraries.dll in the Symenu folder and Symenu found the dll in its Lib folder.

Really?
Any idea how SyMenu.Libraries.dll ended up in the root SyMenu folder?
The updater preserves the original package structure, and in both the zip and exe distributions that dll is located in the Lib folder.
Could it have been copied there manually at some point?
link
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator
Posts: 1393


13 hours ago
Gianluca
Gianluca
Administrator
Posts: 1393
Okay, after checking the dll timestamps, I'm pretty sure I've figured out what happened.


It looks like SyMenu.Libraries.dll was copied or moved to the SyMenu root folder some time ago.
Since SyMenu probes the root folder before looking in the Lib folder, it found the dll there and loaded it successfully.
This worked fine until the latest update.
The new version requires a newer SyMenu.Libraries.dll, but the probing process still found the old dll in the root folder and attempted to load it from there. Once loaded, SyMenu checked the assembly metadata, detected that it was not the required version, and crashed.
Deleting the DLL from the root folder solved the issue because the probing process was then able to resolve the correct dependency from the Lib folder.

Lesson learned. Next time, I should remember to ask the reporter for a complete file listing of the SyMenu core folders right away.


Thanks, this has been really useful.
link



UGMFree © 2002-2026
PayPal BTC TON